Monday, July 23, 2012

Now here is one lady whom I cannot figure out. Or, rather, I am slightly afraid to attempt to dissect. Not because she is scary, no, but because I get queasy whenever she is nearby. Luckily, she is now in Utah, so I do not feel bad talking about her. Julie. Julie, Julie, Julie. What are we going to do with you? She seemed so nice at first, and, trust me, she is. But, the niceness suddenly took a turn for the worst after a few days in Lyle. Failing to comprehend that we were not 4th graders and no one knew her music, she continued to try to get us involved in camp activities. I truly do appreciate her effort. It was hard the first day, going to a camp with complete strangers. But it all seemed so forced. In his novel Fly Fishing with Darth Vader, Matt Labash talks about the problems faced by companies who force the incorporation of "fun" into their day to day activities. "Fun" is not always actually fun. When employees are pushed to join alternative Olympic games or picnics, they are not always enjoying themselves. What makes something fun? For me, it has to be spontaneous or something that I don't see everyday. And I need to want to do it. I need to be a part of its creation and I need to make the decision of whether or not to participate, not have it forced upon me. And Julie broke this. She had good intentions, but by pushing us to do things that we were not interested in, they were not enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment